Your Guide to InfoPass

InfoPass is a free service that lets you schedule an appointment with a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Immigration Officer by using the Internet at any time of day or night. If you have an immigration issue that is best handled by a trained USCIS Immigration Officer, InfoPass will let you schedule your appointment instead of requesting it in person at your local USCIS office.

How can InfoPass make your life easier?

  • It's free: Scheduling your own appointment costs you nothing
  • It's convenient: Make your appointment via the Internet (from your laptop at home, or the computer at your local public library)
  • It's easy: Choose one of 12 languages you want to work in:
    • Select "Make An Appointment"
    • Type in your mailing address ZIP code (so that InfoPass will assign you to the correct office)
    • Select the type of appointment you need to solve your problem (always important)
    • Provide your name, date of birth, ZIP code and telephone number
    • Choose a date and time for your appointment (if you don't see a convenient time, check back with InfoPass – new appointment choices are made available each working day); and
  • When the appointment notice appears on your computer screen (showing the time, date and location of your appointment), print it out to show at your InfoPass appointment.

How do you access InfoPass to make an appointment?

To use InfoPass you will need:

  • A computer with an Internet connection
  • Internet Explorer or any other similar browser.

What documents should you bring to the appointment?

This section is very important; read it carefully. To resolve your problem or inquiry, you will need to bring documents that identify and explain the problem. Some of the documents you will need include:

  • Printout of the InfoPass appointment notice confirmation
  • Government-issued identification. This could be any of the following:
    • government-issued photo ID card
    • passport
    • valid driver's license
    • Employment Authorization Document, or Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card ("green card")
    • Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record; note: if your Form I-94 does not have a photo of you attached to it, then a passport or valid driver's license would have to accompany as an additional form of identification.
  • All immigration forms, receipt notices, approval or denial letters, translations and original documents that relate to your inquiry.

What if you need to reschedule the appointment?

  • InfoPass allows you to cancel or reschedule appointments by using the identification numbers at the bottom of your printed out appointment confirmation notice.
  • To allow the USCIS to serve the most customers possible, please cancel your appointment if you cannot make it at the appointed time. There is no penalty for rescheduling or canceling an appointment.
  • If you lose your appointment notice, you can print a replacement by accessing InfoPass and entering the information requested.

What if I just have a routine inquiry?

For routine matters, such as [insert examples noted below] you do not need to meet with USCIS officers in person. Routine inquiries can be handled easily and quickly by telephone or over the Internet:

  • Forms - All immigration forms are free and can be downloaded from You may also call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 and request that a form be mailed to you.
  • Case Status -For the status of a case filed with a USCIS Service Center, go to and select "Check My Case Status" under "Customer Tools" on the right side of the home page. Using your Service Center receipt number, enter three letters followed by 10 numbers (no spaces or dashes).
  • Renew or Replace a Permanent Resident Card – The form you need is Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
  • Employment Authorization - To apply or renew employment authorization, you need Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

For general information, save yourself a trip – call the NCSC at 1–800–375–5283.

Can Anyone Help Me?

If advice is needed, you may contact the USCIS District Office near your home for a list of community-based, non-profit organizations that may be able to assist you in applying for an immigration benefit. Please see the USCIS field offices home page for more information on contacting USCIS offices.